Monday, September 16, 2013

The Day I First Skied


The wind was cold, the sky so gray
Impact of snow covered me around
Looking down the hill
All white and invisible

I saw my dad take off
Zipping down at lightning speed
I hesitated to go after
Fear was driven inside me.

I took off at last, scared for my life
My skis felt heavy, wet against slush snow
I almost fell, my body twisted around
Then I gathered myself and bent it forward

The wind came too fast, and the snow was almost ice
Other skiers flew past, quick and powerful
I almost tried to keep up, but the fear was there
I didn't want to speed and I didn't want a fall

My legs felt wobbly, queazy all around
I bit my teeth hard, pushing my body forward
The skis began to settle, glide along the white
Then I felt myself up against the fighting wind

I skid to a stop for a moment, to look for my dad
I could see him in a distance, behind a wind pillar of snow
I saw him slow down for a bit, to see if I was coming
And called out to me, and I only told him to go.

He took off, I coming right after
The wind began to settle, the clouds more friendly
A bit of sunlight broke through, and I could see
Everything clear and spotless against the low sky

Then I saw the bottom
And there was my dad at the bottom, waiting for me
He took my arm and told me, I finished.
There was relief and the fear was gone.

We both took off our skis and went to the lodge
There, with hot coffee and a fire, I was finally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment