Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fish Out of Water

This poem is probably one of my earlier favorites. A long time ago, I was walking down a stream and I accidentally ran across a fish that was sitting on land, just blobbing up and down. I slipped it back into the water, but seeing the fish on land gave me an idea for a poem that I wrote and I'm sharing it with you now. Hope you enjoy it!

Fish Out of Water

A lively fish hopped off a stream, no water in tow.
It sat on land, flipping and flopping away.
There was no signs of human life, as far as his eye can see.
So its next best move was to move upstream.

It flipped and flopped, saw and seen, next to upstream.
The rushing water flew by, the other fish in tow.
It looked back once to see them go.
And then it continued its flow.

A human came by to cross the stream.
The fish yelled out, 'Take me!'
The human heard him and came by close.
'What are you doing?' it said to the friendly float.

'I'm fish out of water' it said.
The human laughed and took it by the hand.
'I'll let you back in,' he said.
The fish held the human strong and tight.
As he prepared for the moment of sight.

He let the fish go, on top of the stream.
It splashed to the ground in smithereens.
'Good-bye,' he said, waving back.
The human crossed the river and gave him a smile.

The human left and the fish was alone.
But all that mattered now, as he was now.
A fish in water, no longer its stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment